1. Candy: Just like us, animals can have a sweet tooth. So be very careful to put candy in areas where your furry friends cannot reach it. Chocolate and raisins/grapes are poisonous to dogs and cats, so it is very important to prevent them from having access to it. If you believe your pet has ingested any chocolate or candy, call us or emergency immediately.
2. Decorations: Lights and wires can be tempting to many pets! However, this can cause an electrical shock or cut/burn in their mouths! Make sure to keep your fun light-up decorations out of reach for this reason.
3. Trick-or-Treating: Too many strangers can be scary and stressful for pets. If you are opening up your home to trick-or-treaters make sure your pets are in a safe place.
4. Candles: Carving pumpkins are a lot of fun! If you do choose to use candles, make sure to put them in a location where your animal cannot knock over a lit pumpkin,as it can cause a fire.
Halloween can be tons of fun for you and your pets. We here at Newkirk Family Veterinarians want to wish you and your pets a very Happy Halloween! If you have any questions or concerns,please call us at (609) 645-2120.