As humans, we typically do certain things daily. We brush our hair; we brush our teeth; we bathe; we keep our nails trimmed and attractive, etc. These actions help keep both our bodies and minds healthy. It’s important to make the same considerations for your dog. These grooming steps are an important part of their health, too. Whether you do it yourself, or take them to a professional who handles dog grooming in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, keeping your dog well-groomed offers many health benefits.
- Regular brushing reduces the amount of hairballs. While hairballs or more common for cats, they do occur in dogs as well. Severe hairballs can cause stomach issues and block the digestive track.
- Weekly ear checks and cleanings help prevent infections, or catch them early on before they become more serious or cause permanent damage. Look for redness, inflammation, and debris. Check for bad odor (The ears should smell like nothing, not like dirty socks.)
- Keeping hair trimmed eliminates the problem of matted hair. When hair becomes matted, it pulls on the skin, causing irritation and pain.
- A trim coat makes it easier to spot any other potential health problems before they become life-threatening.
- A regular hair cut keeps your dog cool in the summer and allows new insulation to grow in for the next winter.
- Dogs kept short-trimmed by a groomer shed less.
- Those with allergies may be able to have a dog if it is kept well-groomed.
- Dogs whose nails grow too long cannot walk properly because it is painful for them to put their full weight on their paws. Keeping nails trim will help them walk, run, and play in a healthy way.
- Long nails create the potential for scratching. This puts your furniture and your children, not to mention yourself, at risk. Keeping nails trimmed will protect your favorite people and possessions from harm.
- Dirt, debris, and dead hair are breeding grounds for bacteria, fleas, and ticks. Fleas can cause tape worms in dogs. Humans can also catch diseases from these parasites. A clean coat will help eliminate these health risks.
- Regular grooming improves your dog’s behavior. For example, hair that has grown too long around the eyes impairs vision. The dog may become more aggressive and fearful simply because he can’t see well. Ensuring he is well-groomed will help keep your dog on his best behavior.
Help Fido stay fit
As you can see, grooming is an important part of pet ownership. Just as we care for our personal hygiene, we should ensure our dog is well cared for, too. Neglecting this part of our responsibilities as dog-owners can drastically reduce the quality and longevity of our pet’s life. Regular grooming will keep our dog healthier. It allows them to feel better physically, which leads to improved mental state, which in turn leads to a happier, friendlier, more predictable and energetic pet.
If you lack the time or are uncomfortable with any part of the grooming process, (nail clipping makes some dog owners nervous) professional dog grooming in Egg Harbor Township, NJ is available. Bring your dog in regularly to take advantage of these many health benefits for both you and your best friend.