If you’ve ever owned a cat, you know that they constantly clean themselves with their prickly tongues. Sometimes their tongues don’t do the trick, though. Good owners know that cats, especially longhaired ones, need to be groomed to keep them happy and healthy.
Proper cat grooming in Egg Harbor Township, NJ can prevent flea and tick infestations, resolve mats and tangles, prevent urine or excrement buildups in long hair cats, prevent claws from growing into pads, and prevent skin irritation.
- Prevent flea and tick infestations: Dirty, matted hair, is a perfect place for fleas and ticks to hide out and prey on your cat. Grooming your cat on a regular basis will prevent mats from building up and keep those mean mites off your cat.
- Resolve mats and tangles: Mats can be a big problem in longhaired cats. Large mats create a shield which actually prevents a cat from grooming themselves. The skin under the mat can’t get any fresh air, which eventually leads to skin irritation and dirt build up. An excessive amount of dirt leads to an even bigger haven for fleas.
- Prevent urine or excrement buildups: It’s a gross thought, but if a cat isn’t properly groomed your kitty can build up a tremendous amount of urine and excrement around their tails. Hair near their bottoms should be trimmed shorter than the rest of their fur to prevent any gross problems. Our vet techs don’t mind getting dirty and will be happy to trim your cat’s bottom for you.
- Prevent claws from growing into pads: You know how painful and ingrown finger or toenail can be. Imagine if you had a claw growing into your foot. Ouch! That’s not only painful for your cat, but overtime can lead to a nasty infection. Trimming a cat’s claws can be frustrating. Our experienced vet techs will trim your cat’s claws to insure they stay healthy.
- Prevent skin irritation: As afore mentioned, if a cat’s hair is matted up, the skin under the mat doesn’t get enough fresh air which can lead to skin irritation and an unhappy cat. Proper brushing can keep your cat’s coat and skin clean and prevent any irritation.
On top of all the benefits listed above, a properly groomed cat is less likely to leave hair and dander around your home. Less cat hair all over the place cuts down on the amount of cleaning you have to do and allows you to spend more time with your pet. With less dander and hair floating around your house, guests who suffer from cat allergies will be happier in your home.
At Newkirk Family Veterinarians we’re happy to take care of all your cat grooming in Egg Harbor Township, NJ needs. Proper grooming will prevent mite infestations, get rid of mats and tangles, prevent urine or excrement buildup, prevent claws from growing into pads, and prevent skin irritation. As a bonus to all that, proper grooming will make you a happier cat owner. Come in, or call us today at 609-645-2120 to see what we can do for you!