There are a number of parasites that can infect dogs, cats and other common household pets, adversely affecting their health and placing them in tremendous amounts of discomfort and danger. Thankfully, there are preventative measures you can take to reduce your furry friend’s chance of contracting flea, tick and heartworm infections.
Working with a holistic veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ is the best way to prevent your pet from contracting any number of common ailments faced by dogs and cats. With the right kinds of care, you can ensure that your furry friend lives a long and healthy life.
There are a number of common infections both caused by and relating to parasites that you can preventatively treat your pets for. Here are just a few common ailments that you can preemptively address:
- Rabies: Rabies is a deadly disease that can affect almost all mammals, including humans! While rabies is now rare in North America, it’s still important to seek preventative treatment for your animals. Most jurisdictions in the U.S. require it.
- Lyme disease: This neurological disease is spread through the bite of the deer tick, a common North American insect. Lyme disease is a deadly, relatively mysterious infection with few treatment options.
- Parvovirus: Parvovirus is a contagious viral infection affecting primarily young dogs and old dogs. Parvo is an autoimmune disorder that is often deadly in dogs. There are very few treatment options.
- Heartworms: Both dogs and cats regularly contract heartworms, which spread through mosquito bites. Heartworms are potentially fatal. Your pet may live with heartworms for many years before exhibiting symptoms.
- Intestinal parasites: Hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms are just some of the parasites that may infect your dog or cat. Many intestinal parasites can spread between pets and their owners, so it’s extremely important to safeguard against these infections!
- Fleas: Fleas can cause your pet to become stressed, and may lead to lower overall quality of life. Fleas also spread easily amongst pets, and result in substantial amounts of skin irritation.
Here are just some of the ways that you can keep your pet healthy and parasite-free:
- Vaccines: Thankfully, vaccines against deadly diseases like rabies, Lyme and parvovirus currently exist. Talk to your holistic veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ to learn which vaccinations are right for your furry friend.
- Oral and chemical repellents: There are a number of products you can administer orally and topically that will prevent and reduce flea and tick infestations on your pet. Again, you should always consult with your veterinarian prior to administering any treatment.
Newkirk Family Veterinarians has been a highly trusted source of veterinary care in Egg Harbor Township, NJ since 1981. We are proud to provide each and every one of our patients with our premier pet health services. Newkirk Family Veterinarians is a premier holistic veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ because we implement a common-sense approach to pet health that places the wellbeing of your animal first and foremost. You can rely on us to keep your pet’s best interests at heart while we pursue both preventative and reactive treatments.
Reach out to one of our highly qualified veterinary assistants today to learn more about our extensive range of high-quality pet healthcare services.