Now that summer has officially arrived, you might be planning all of your outdoor recreation activities. Regardless of where you plan to go this season, though, you need to make sure to keep yourself and your pets cool and comfortable. To ensure that your pets stay safe no matter how hot it gets this summer, consider these tips from a vet in Egg Harbor Township, NJ:
- Don’t overexert yourself: One of the most important things to do to keep yourself and your pets cool this summer is to avoid overdoing it when you’re outside. If you’re planning on exercising outdoors with your pets, try to wait until things start to cool off in the afternoon and evening. Make sure that you give your pets plenty of time to rest when you go out to play to avoid heat exhaustion and other problems.
- Don’t leave pets in parked cars: Parked cars are like ovens when left in the heat, even if it’s only for a few minutes. You should never leave your pets in a parked car during the summertime, even if the windows are down.
- Hydrate yourself: No matter what you’re up to this summer, it’s important to keep yourself and your pets hydrated. Bring plenty of water with you wherever you go so that you can always give your pets something to drink when you’re out and about. You can invest in a collapsible water dish for your pets that you can easily pack away and bring out when you need it for hydration on the go.
- Make frozen treats for your pets: After a long day of playing outside and running errands in the heat, your pets can cool off with a frozen treat that’s just for them. You can make your own frozen treats for your pets using peanut butter and other dog-friendly snacks and freezing them with ice cube trays or popsicle molds.
- Keep a close eye on your pets: When you’re out in the heat, make sure to monitor your pets closely for signs of discomfort and heat stroke. If you notice that your pet is breathing very heavily, appears to be losing balance and coordination or is vomiting, you should contact your vet in Egg Harbor Township, NJ right away. They will be able to examine your pet and provide treatment to get them feeling better as quickly as possible.
Visit a vet in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
At Newkirk Family Veterinarians, we know how important it is to keep pets cool during the summer months, and we are here to help pet owners provide the best possible care for their pets. For decades, our team has been passionate about delivering outstanding pet care for animals of all species and breeds. Whether you need to schedule a basic checkup for your pet or you have additional concerns about your pet’s health, our team is here to help you. Give us a call or stop by today to set up an appointment with our team!