As a pet owner, you are responsible for keeping your pets as healthy and happy as possible, and that means that you need to manage and control pests that can affect your pets. Fleas and ticks are especially big concerns for pets during the summer months. As you enjoy your time outside, you want to feel confident that your pets are protected. The good news is that there are several things that you can do to guard your pets against fleas and ticks this summer. Here are some tips from a veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ:
- Use flea and tick treatments: You can purchase flea and tick treatments for your pets at a veterinary office or pet supply store. Apply this treatment according to the package directions for the best results, and make sure to apply at the recommended frequency to keep your pets as protected as possible.
- Wash bedding frequently: Fleas and ticks can transfer between pets and people by hiding in linens and beddings. Wash all of your linens, especially the linens that your pets come into contact with, on a regular basis with very hot water. This will reduce the likelihood of fleas and ticks spreading from your pets to your family.
- Vacuum carpets and furniture: Like linens and bedding, carpets and furniture also provide fleas and ticks with a place to hide out until they find their next host. Vacuum your carpets and furniture to get rid of fleas and ticks and to keep your pets and family protected.
- Keep yard debris to a minimum: Fleas and ticks can hide out in yard debris, so it’s important to manage the green waste in your yard. Keep your outdoor spaces as tidy and free of overgrowth as you can so that your pets can play freely without taking on any unwanted pests. You should also make sure to check your pets for ticks and fleas after spending time outdoors.
- Consult with your vet: In addition to all of the preventative measures that you should be taking to control fleas and ticks, you should also make sure to bring your pets in for regular checkups to make sure that they are healthy. Fleas and ticks can transmit harmful diseases, and you might not realize that there’s a problem with your pet’s health until the issue gets really bad. Regular checkups with a veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ can help you catch issues and concerns before they cause bigger problems for your pet’s health.
Get help from a veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
For more advice from a veterinarian in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, reach out to Newkirk Family Veterinarians. Our clinic has been serving the community for decades, and we continue to deliver exceptional veterinary care to all of the pets that visit our clinic. Regardless of what your specific needs or concerns may be, our team of experts is here to help keep your pets in the best health possible for their entire lives. You can get started with an appointment by reaching out to our clinic by phone or stopping by to see us today.