Easter is almost here! Here are several tips for keeping your animals safe during this time of year.
Easter lilies are extremely toxic plants for cats. Even a few pieces of leaves or ingestion of a small amount of pollen can cause severe kidney failure. Some symptoms might include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and dehydration. There is no effective antidote to counteract lily poisoning, so if you suspect that your pet has ingested a lily, call immediately.
Another concern involves all the yummy chocolate during Easter. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problems, but any chocolate ingestion can result in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, and possibly death. The chemical toxicity is due to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine). So please remember to collect the chocolate eggs after an Easter hunt!
Easter grass that accompanies the Easter baskets can also pose risks to our canine and feline friends. When your cat or dog ingests something stringy, like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach. This can cause an obstruction within the GI tract, causing further problems and leading to abdominal surgery.
Lastly, warmer weather brings out gardeners, and Easter weekend is usually warm enough that people head outside to get that first application of fertilizer on the grass. Fertilizers can be toxic to animals so please be aware of ingestion.
Have a wonderful holiday!