IF YOUR KITTY IS SNUBBING HER TRAY, SHE MAY NOT LIKE THE LITTER YOU’RE USING. FIND OUT WHAT TO AVOID AND LOOK FOR WHEN SELECTING A PRODUCT.
Does your cat steer clear of her litter box? Inappropriate elimination has many causes, both physical and behavioral (and these need to be ruled out first), but one problem might be the litter you’re using.
There are dozens of cat litters on the market, but a good place to start is by crossing off your list all litters that are clay-based, and that attempt to control odor with fragrance, which can be a real turn-off for many cats. The next step is to learn how to recognize a high quality, natural cat litter that does the job right, and that your cat will like.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD CAT LITTER?
The best cat litters are not only healthy, safe and attractive to felines, but also convenient and as mess- and odor-free as possible. “Characteristics to look for include good deodorization properties [without the use of fragrance], and good urine clumping with easy waste removal,” says Mark Ventura of Arm & Hammer. “It shouldn’t track or be dusty, and it needs a cat-friendly texture to minimize rejection.”
“Odor control is paramount for most cat parents,” says Sean Sterner of Blue Buffalo Company. “You want something that will control litter box odors and be long-lasting. If a particular material doesn’t have great absorption qualities, you’re going to have to use more of it to get the job done. And how easy is it to clean your litter box? Are you literally scraping litter off the sides and bottom? You want something that is easy to use.”
Shannon Supanich of Pioneer Pet Products agrees. “If the fragrance or texture is an issue with a cat, he will avoid the litter box,” she adds. “Odor control is most important. The best way to eliminate odors is for the litter to fully and
completely absorb all the moisture. Strong clumping action is key. Clumping absorbs odors and helps keep the litter box cleaner when scooped. However, clay litters are very dusty and can lead to respiratory problems, so look for a
THE BEST WAY TO ELIMINATE ODORS IS FOR
THE LITTER TO FULLY AND COMPLETELY
ABSORB ALL THE MOISTURE.”
WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS?
When it comes to safe, natural, easy-to-use cat litters, there’s more to choose from than ever before. Here are some examples:
- “Our formulas are made by harnessing the natural absorbency of corn for odor control, quick clumping and easy scooping,” says Karen Schaffer for World’s Best Cat Litter. “The result is a lightweight, dust-free litter that’s cat-, people- and planet-friendly.”
- Arm & Hammer’s Clump & Seal Cat Litter is made with micro-sealing granules, derived from mineral and plant sources, that eliminate odor. “Proprietary clumping and binding ingredients allow the micro-particles of this finely-textured litter to coat the surface of feces and form very hard urine clumps,” explains Mark. “This technology seals in and destroy odors.” The product also minimizes dust and tracking.
- The Breeze System- Change the way you think about cleaning your cat’s litter box with the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System. This unique system uses specially designed, feline-friendly litter pellets suspended over a super-absorbent litter pad to achieve powerful odor control that helps keep your home smelling fresh and clean. The grated floor allows moisture to wick down to the disposable pad while solid waste is captured in the pellets for easy clean-up with the included scoop. It’s easy to maintain and takes the guesswork out of changing litter, because you shouldn’t have to choose between quality and convenience.
- PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box- Quickly absorbs urine and dries solid waste for odor control that’s five times better than clumping clay litters Never see, touch or smell the waste–leak-proof tray and lid is completely disposable for quick, hygienic clean-up.. ScoopFree’s original blue crystals feature a light, fresh scent (barely noticeable) to help control tough litter box odors. Low-tracking and 99% dust-free crystals won’t stick to kitty’s paws so your home stays clean and litter-free. Designed for use in the PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box; uses five to ten times less litter than clay or clumping.
- Another natural, biodegradable litter choice is Pioneer Pet Products’ SmartCat All Natural Cat Litter, which is made from grass. “It is virtually dust-free and very lightweight – only one-third the weight of clay clumping litters,” says Shannon. “It quickly absorbs urine…and will peel itself away from the sides of the litter box, making scooping easier. The litter traps the odor causing compounds in the clumps then begins de-watering the clumps to minimize the bacterial growth that causes odors.”
With so many good quality litters to choose from, there’s no need to opt for less than the best. Doesn’t your kitty deserve it?
By Ann Brightman, Feline Wellness Magazine